Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Azeem Azam’s top-10 magicians


Azeem Azam has battled injuries and tackled spiteful forces, hell-bent on bringing him down through vicious online attacks. But Azeem has put all of that behind him now and is ready to add a fresh chapter to his life that has been a roller-coaster ride. He has already started getting offers from football clubs but the English footballer is yet to make a decision. In the meanwhile, he has much to share.

The flourishing stage of world football is decorated with awe-inspiring players. From Pele, who started plying his trade in the mid-50s, to Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo of the current generation, they have all been feast to the eyes. Every footballer has his favourite players and Azeem is no different.
In a freewheeling conversation, Azeem reveals his most influential players, those who have been inspirational forces in his quest to find a niche for himself. Let’s take a look.

Diego Armando Maradona: 

Though he was way before my own generation, I watched the Argentine great on every occasion that I could.The Maradona bug hit me quite early in my life. Every time I watched him play, I was transported to a different plane. He gave me joy. Everyone talks about the 1986 World Cup in which he captained his side to glory but what touched me the most was the post-match presentation of the 1990 World Cup - Lothar Mathaeus was lifting the trophy for Germany while Maradona was crying like a baby. It was so touching that I couldn’t hold back my own tears.

Lionel Messi:

What can I say about Messi that’s not already been said by so many. He is the ultimate genius. Although the jury is still out as to who is the greater of the two argentines, I believe they are both Gods of football. No point comparing players of different eras. He has single-handedly propelled Barcelona to such great heights that people believe that the Catalan giants are the best club to have played the beautiful game ever! I only wish he guides Argentina to a World Cup win before he hangs his boots. That would be the icing on the cake and also shut his detractors.

Zinedine Zidane

This man is easily one of the greatest footballers of all time. Period! A leading figure of a generation of French players that won the 1998 World Cup and the 2000 European Championship, the Real Madrid player is today an inspiration for many aspiring players. There was hardly anything that he couldn’t do with his feet. Many have criticised him for head-butting Marco Materazzi in the chest in a World Cup but we shouldn’t judge. Who knows the ground realities? He will always be a legend.

David Beckham: 

I believe Beckham was always under-rated due to the circus that followed him off the field. If you were to judge Beckham solely as a footballer, then on his day he was immaculate. He’s been successful everywhere he’s played but I enjoyed him the most when he was at his peak at Manchester United. His curling free-kicks are legendary and I couldn’t blink when he was lining his shot. I only wish he had the chance to play for Great Britain in the Olympics.

Cristiano Ronaldo: 

It’s hard not to feel sorry for Ronaldo.He is doing unbelievable things wherever he’s played, averaging over a goal a game in the last La Liga season. However, he has one thing in his way that has invariably prevented him from being unanimously named the best, and that’s the genius of Messi. But he is up there with the best.

Andres Iniesta: 

I Love watching Iniesta play. He embodies Barcelona’s tic tac football… I think he should be called Iniesta tic tac. The Spanish midfielder received the UEFA Best Player in Europe award after pipping Ronaldo and club-mate Messi and I think it’s a tribute to the diminutive player.I jumped with joy when he scored the extra-time winner against the Netherlands in the 2010 World Cup final in South Africa.

Luis Figo: 

Another awesome footballer I grew up watching. He great power and technique and is a true giant of world football. He is seen by many as the outstanding wide player of his generation. His classy dribbling, pinpoint crossing and high work-rate have given me many joyous moments.No wonder, in his homeland, Figo is considered second only to Eusebio as Portugal’s greatest ever player. 

Paul Gazza Gascoigne: 

I really loved watching Gazza play. He embodied football on the pitch, a total genius and by far the greatest English footballer.Paul Gascoigne played football. That’s how fans knew and loved him. Still do. Not the World Cup tears, the media victim, the maddeningly juvenile mischief, or the washed up celebrity. Forget that, because Gascoigne was simply the finest, most exhilarating talent of his generation with the capacity to overwhelm by virtue of his sheer genius.

Gianfranco Zola:

I think he was cut from the same cloth as Maradona and Messi, a magical player. Well, just ask the Chelsea fans.Goals that will live long in my memory include the mid-air back flick against Norwich City, an effort against Manchester United that left opposition goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel motionless and a brilliant turn and shot in the 1997 FA Cup semi-final win over Wimbledon. That was wow!

Dennis Bergkamp:

Mr Immaculate! Bergkamp has perhaps the best first touch I have ever seen. He would leave you at times in awe at his first touch, it was that good. I really like one of his most popular quotes… “One of his secret in success is something they taught him while he was still in Ajax, "Concentrate in your skill first, and you will gain the rest along with your future experiences."

No comments:

Post a Comment